FDC Young Designers Awards 2013
I had the challenge to cover the FDC Young Designer Awards which took place on Saturday 26 October 2013 at the Pullman London Hotel in St Pancras. I was trying to spot the fashion talents out there to see if there was a future Tom Ford or Alexander McQueen in this contest.
The Panel of judges for 2013 consisted of:
- Laura Bartlett – the founding Editor of Urban Coco international who was recently featured on the BBC TV show Dragons Den.
- Rachel Johnson – Course Lead Fashion Design Level 3 Gloucestershire College.
- Akosua Annobil – is the CEO of Fire Media UK and is the founder of Overground online magazine.
- Philippa Eyland Gentle – RCA trained Milliner and tutor at Central Saint Martins University of the Arts.
- Sam Davis – a Director Producer, Consultant, Fashion & Lifestyle Editor & Stylist and Creative Director of Lokation.
- Sarah Gresty – is a practising knitwear designer, working for designers such as Kenzo, Chanel, Balenciaga and is the Pathway Leader for Fashion Knit on the BA Fashion at Central Saint Martins.
- Theo Omambala – top international model gracing the catwalks of renowned designers such as Vivienne Westwood, Oscar de la Renta , Alexander McQueen and Dolce Gabbana and Photographed by top photographer Nick Knight; is also the Founder/ Creative Director Theo’s Vision La Haute Culture.
To me all the contestants are winners, the quality was that good. For me it’s not how you start the fashion race ,it’s where you take it next. One of the contestants, Couture Knitware, contacted me to design a dress for me to wear at London Collections: Men event. A great move.
Sponsoring Up and coming Talent
MenStyleFashion is proud to sponsor the Savile Row – National Tailoring Awards 2014. Any future young designer can sign up at any university in the UK. This is where Tom Ford and Alexander McQueen started out, Savile Row. Savile Row needs new and innovative designers, in their own words: “Savile Row won’t survive unless we support the up and coming“.